Street Level Air Quality Data:
Air quality in urban centers is alarmingly high. Majority of residents in these areas breath unhealthy or hazardous air daily. Air pollution concentrations in cities can have large variations over short distances.
What is the main challenge of creating a reference air quality monitoring network for an entire city?
Spatial Density and Variation
Due to the large size of cities, it is impossible to measure every location. This results in extrapolated data based on simple arithmetic approaches.
The Urban Scanner
- Measure pollutants in real-time
- Stores sampling data safely and securely
- Maps city streets and their corresponding air quality
- Incorporates sophisticated algorithms which adapt to spatial and temporal changes of air quality in order to enhance predictive air quality monitoring methodologies
- Creates highly intelligent inner-city model representations capable of auto-adjusting output results based on the time of day.
- High resolution AQ sensors
- 360° camera
Data is used to create an intelligent AQ model of the entire city.
- Pollutant and particulate matter concentrations
- Barometric pressure
- GPS positioning
- Sampling time
- LIDAR data
- Real-time 360° 1080p UHD imaging
- Wind speed and direction
- Thermal imaging
- Provides Sweep rate of 2-10 hz
- 1000 samples/sec
- Range 0.15 to 12m
- Resolution 0.001 m
- Each sample is angle + distance
- 360 image created from stitching two 180° images
- 6480 x 1080 up to 24 fps
- Data rate of 3.6 MB per image or 87 MB /Sec or 313 GB/hr
- Range 0-60 m/s (216 km/hr)
- Frequency 4 Hz
- Data: U,V vectors in m/s
- Accuracy: 2% or 0.01 m/s (when stationary)
- GPS speed accuracy is reported to be 0.01 m/s and therefore should not be significant source of error for wind measurement.
How it Works
- The Urban Scanner collects sampling data
- Pollutant concentrations, temperature, humidity, LIDAR, video imaging
- Data is processed using sophisticated algorithms
- During processing, data is correlated among multiple variables
- Data can then be post-processed into a live model simulation, which simulates the air quality concentration throughout the entire city – including areas that have not been sampled!
Urban Scanner Overview
- Online monitoring of over 30 different pollutants (E.g. CO, O3, NO2, SO2, CO2, NH3, PM 1, 2.5, 10, etc.)
- Standard battery powered (optional: solar power)
- Wireless communications via SIMcard and SDcard
- Cloud-based instant and automated data processing, visualization, and reporting
- Weather proof, easily mountable to any vehicle
Data collected by Urban Scanner is used to create a live AQ model which calculates the air quality throughout the entire city – including areas that have not been sampled.
Model uses AI to determine:
- Traffic patterns and vehicle classifications
- Infrastructure dimensions and land use
- Wind turbulence
- Hazardous air quality zones
- Temporal variations
Automatic Data-Sync Updates
- The model can be continuously updated to account for natural dynamics
- Live data from the vehicle-mounted AQ stations are sent to the cloud to be integrated into the model
- Vehicle-mounted AQ stations are automatically selfcalibrated when the vehicle returns to its predesignated central location
- Compact AQ stations can be mounted on public vehicles such as
- Police cruisers