AE36s creates breakthrough aerosol research. Extended wavelength range offers high-quality data for carbonaceous aerosols, and provides advanced Black Carbon source apportionment and Brown Carbon analysis. AE36s enables the broadest range of studies yet, with low resources. It is based upon decades of scientific work and experience of thousands of installations and studies globally.
- 9 λ, 340 – 950 NM, CHARACTERIZATION OF LIGHT-ABSORBING AEROSOL
- REAL-TIME BROWN CARBON ANALYSES
- TIME BASE 1S
- DUALSPOT TECHNOLOGY
- ROBUSTNESS TO RELATIVE HUMIDITY CHANGES
- REAL-TIME DATA VISUALIZATION
- SELF-CLEANING PROCEDURE
- AUTOMATIC DATA VALIDATION
We have extended wavelengths where it counts, in the ultraviolet range, starting from 340 nm. This offers new and unique measurements for breakthrough research of light-absorbing aerosols. High-quality data, in high time resolution, enables detailed and flexible analytical capabilities, and the broadest range of Black and Brown Carbon studies yet. Thanks to DualSpot, Automatic data validation, Self-cleaning procedure, and other valuable features, AE36s requires minimal resources to get valuable and insightful data. Advanced apportionment and component algorithms provide detailed insights into Black Carbon sources and the nature of light-absorbing aerosols. This Aethalometer can shed new light on particles contributing to climate change and adverse effects on human health.
- Unique measurements
- Data you can trust
- Detailed and flexible analytical and diagnostic capabilities
- Developed and designed based on thousands of scientific publications
- Requires minimal resources
The Aethalometer® AE36s provides real-time monitoring, quantitation, and speciation of Black and Brown Carbon and gives unique opportunity for:
- Detailed research of ambient air quality
- Advanced monitoring of ambient air quality
- Climate research: radiative forcing, absorption measurements
- Black carbon source apportionment, composition of particulate matter
- Brown Carbon characterization
- Fundamental science of optical properties of aerosols
- Public and occupational health research
- Stationary and mobile emission characterization
- Research and monitoring of marine and air transport pollution
- Wildfires research
- Visibility research
New wavelengths for improved characterization of Brown Carbon
To improve the real-time characterization of Brown Carbon absorption, two additional wavelengths are introduced in the AE36s: the 400 nm enhances the resolution of absorption in the gap between 370 nm and 470 nm; the 340 nm extends the measurement range in the UV spectrum.
Aerosol light absorption measurements are crucial for evaluating the impact of aerosols and their mixing state on radiative forcing. Absorption spectral dependence can be described by the absorption Ångström exponent, which is used to characterize the light absorbing aerosols: Black Carbon and Brown Carbon and their sources.
AE36s provides new dimensions to the research of Brown Carbon, properties of aerosols at new wavelengths, comparison to measurements at fluid state, determination of mass absorption cross section and many more.
AE36s can maintain its incomparable accuracy and stability in different environmental conditions – 500% improvement. Relative humidity changes are affecting the performance of all filter-based instruments. Fluctuating relative humidity levels, e.g., due to air conditioning, can cause variations in characteristic of the filter tape, which can lead to inaccurate measurements. However, AE36s is designed to be robust against relative humidity changes and RH compensation mechanism enables reliable and accurate performance in varying environments.
AE36s is designed to provide a multitude of valuable and insightful data, while requiring minimal resources. Real-time data visualization provides a quick glance at the most important data for the last week. Self-cleaning procedure gives you peace of mind by reducing buildup of dirt and other contaminants that may affect the data quality. Several safety and diagnostic features make sure the instrument is running optimally while having complete control over instrument and quality of data. New status control is implemented for automatic data validation, providing the best foundation for reliable and accurate data analysis and reporting. AE36s is ready to be seamlessly connected wherever you are, using the RAS module in updated CAAT software.
PATENTED AUTOMATIC COMPENSATION FOR FILTER LOADING EFFECT
Sample collection and analysis is performed on two filter spots simultaneously at different flow rates. Mathematical combination of the data eliminates the filter loading effect and provides continuously corrected data in real time with no discontinuities at filter advances.
This compensation depends critically on the aerosol composition and properties. It must be determined in real time from the measurement data, as it cannot be predicted in advance.
The parameters derived from this analysis also offer additional insights into aerosol composition and aging.
The Aethalometer® analyzes the sample at 9 optical wavelengths from the ultraviolet (340 nm) to the near-infrared (950 nm). Optical absorption by different aerosol components have different variations across the spectrum: most notably, the differences between diesel exhaust and emissions from biomass burning. The 9-wavelength data allows for a separation of these components, providing a real-time speciation of the aerosol sources and a determination of their origins.
The Aethalometer® source apportionment algorithm uses filter loading compensated data (DualSpot) considering different loading effect across the spectrum, resulting in true and accurate real-time source apportionment.
- Total Carbon Content (TC),
- Elemental Carbon content (EC),
- Organic Carbon content (OC),
- and the Black Carbon content (BC).
Furthermore, using the advanced TC/BC(λ) method CASS can be used to monitor a complete fingerprint of carbonaceous aerosols, including primary and secondary organic aerosols.
HIGH TIME RESOLUTION (1 HZ) ANALYTICAL RESPONSE
Sampling, analysis, and all calculations are performed at a fundamental rate of 1 Hz. Standard reporting time base of 1 second or 1 minute permit the identification of temporal patterns and the study of direct emission sources such as engines, stoves, etc. Data may be aggregated into averages of 1 hour, or other intervals, for air-quality reporting. All data and internal diagnostics are stored internally with an instrument capacity of many years.
Data validation is an essential part of quality assurance and control (QA/QC). Auto data validation eliminates the need for manual data validation, which can be time-consuming and prone to human error. New status controls are implemented for Automatic data validation that provides the best foundation for reliable and accurate data analysis and reporting.
The optical performance of the Aethalometer may be validated by the Neutral Density Optical Filter Kit, consisting of four precision optical elements whose absorbance is traceable to fundamental standards. Software routines measure the optical intensities at all wavelengths and compare the analysis instantly with the original reference values. Other built-in test programs offer routine checks of stability and leakage. These features provide Quality Assurance that is essential both for routine monitoring and research use.
The Aethalometer® is the instrument most-used in the world for research of absorption optical properties of aerosols and Black Carbon. Thousands of studies have been carried out with Aethalometer that contribute to science and raise awareness of carbonaceous aerosols and their impact on human health and climate change.
Proportional to time-base and sample flow rate settings: <10 ng/m3 @ 1 min, 5 LPM
- Detection limit (1 hour): <0.001 μg/m3
- Range: <0.01 to >100 μg/m3
- Black Carbon resolution: <1 ng/m3
Aerosol sample collected on reinforced glass-fiber/PTFE filter tape. Tape advances automatically on aerosol loading or at predefined times or intervals. Size selective inlets (impactor, cyclone) may be attached
- Filter tape length: 10 m
- Time-base 1 s and 60 s, post-processing to any time resolution
- Flow-rate 2 to 5 LPM provided by internal pump
- Flow measured by two mass flow sensors and stabilized by closed-loop control
- Tape advances automatically on aerosol loading or at predefined times or time intervals
10.1” color touch-screen (1280 x 800 px) with status indicator LED’s
• Graphical User Interface with basic data display and control, advanced screens for detailed reporting and parameter setup
• Charting of most relevant data (BC6, BB%, BCff, BCbb,, BrC) for advanced source apportionment
Network ready for remote management and data transfer
RH sensitivity <1 ng BC/(%/min)
• Inlet RH sensor
• Tape compartment RH sensor
• Door sensor
• Digital data via RS-232 COM port and Ethernet
4x USB, 1x USB (power only), 6x RS232, 1x Ethernet
• Database: 6 GB (30 years of 1 min data)
• All data are written to internal memory once every time-base period. Stored and autovalidated data may be transferred over a network or to a manually inserted USB drive
• Stability test
• Clean air test
• ND test for optical performance verification
• Flow verification
• Filter leakage test
• Inlet leakage test
• Flow calibration
• Tape sensor calibration
• Self cleaning procedure
- Dimensions (H x W x D): 27 x 43 x 32 cm
- Weight: 17.5 kg
- Electrical power supply: AC: 100-230VAC, 50/60Hz (auto-switching)
- Power consumption: 30 W average
- Internal vacuum pump: dual diaphragm, brushless motor
- Modular hardware, constructed in a fully-enclosed 19” rack mount 6U chassis, hermetically sealed to be protected from external environmental conditions